258 Washington St., Boston, MA
(1861 – 1868)
Mumler’s first studio was located at 258 Washington St., Boston, MA. It was here, at the studio of Mrs. Helen F. Stuart, he began experimenting with photography and discovered spirit photographs. Customers would enter a reception room on the lower level which contained a sofa and had framed spirit photographs on display. The sitting room was located upstairs. Located directly under a skylight was the camera with a chair in front of it. The room was separated with ordinary partitions and had a simple background. Off to the side of the sitting room was a dark room where negatives were developed and stored on a shelf.
630 Broadway, New York, NY
(1868 – 1870)
Mumler’s second studio was located in New York City at 630 Broadway, NY, NY. He found the location, shortly after moving to NY, when he was walking down the street towards the Bowery and noticed a studio with a respectable photographic display. The studio was owned by W. W. Silver. Silver did not believe in spirit photography but allowed Mumler to work there after he produced several spirit photographs for Silver and he was satisfied with the process. Mumler would eventually buy out the studio and supplies from Silver and become the sole operator. Customers would enter the reception room on the first floor before proceeding up to the sitting room on the second floor. The sitting room was lit by a skylight and contained a posing chair, table, and simple background.
170 West Springfield St., Boston, MA
(1870 – 1877)
Shortly after his trial for fraud related to spirit photography, Mumler moved back to Boston and began operating out of his third studio located at 170 West Springfield St., Boston, MA. The sitting room was located in the back parlor. The room was lit by a window and contained a Chippendale chair with an iron headrest behind it, located about 10 feet from the camera. There was also a table and a white muslin background. Mumler kept his camera on wheels to prove he didn’t have any negatives or reflectors concealed. A separate dark room was located off the sitting room.
 The Herald of Progress – Nov. 29, 1862
 The Strange Case of William Mumler – 2008
 Banner of Light – Sep. 23, 1871